Great news! There's a new version of Write-N-Cite for Windows and Mac. The new version offers:
- The tool is built into Word and will no longer be displayed as a separate webpage.
- Auto formatting while you write; changing citation styles has never been easier.
- Auto-managed footnote and formatting styles; the software handles all footnotes and knows what's right for each style.
- Full support for Mac, Windows, or across platforms
- Seamless online/offline access to your references
- Professional citation and bibliography customization tools
To download the latest version, log into your RefWorks account. Download links for Windows and Mac are available from the "Tools" menu.
Older Versions of Write-N-Cite
Write-N-Cite is a RefWorks utility that allows users to cite sources from within a Microsoft Word document. It will automatically format both the in-text citations and reference list/bibliography.
The "Write -N-Cite" sign will appear on all Word 2003 and earlier documents in the top right hand corner. In Word 2007, it appears in the add-ins menu. It also appears as a shortcut on your desktop.
Citing References: Steps
- From Microsoft Word click on Write-N-Cite in the right top corner of the Word document or on your desktop to launch Write-N- Cite.
- Log-in using the same login and password you use for RefWorks.
- Select the proper folder from View →Folder.
- In your paper click where you want to insert the citation.
- Switch to Write-N-Cite and click the Cite link adjacent to the correct reference. (Note: Write-N-Cite automatically
inserts double curly brackets as well as the Ref ID, Author Last Name, and Year. This is a placeholder.)
- To cite a second reference in the same location, click the Cite link for the second reference. The reference information is automatically inserted in the same set of curly brackets.
Note: The in-text references are not the final product—they are coded. The final document will be formatted when you create a bibliography.
- Click Bibliography to generate the formatted paper. (Recommendation: Don't create your bibliography until your paper is completely done!)
- Select the Output Style and select Create Bibliography
Note: Write-N-Cite will create a bibliography and in-text citations from the records that you cited.